Thursday, December 22, 2011

Kerala December 2011: Day Six

Early morning 6, I packed my bags, readied up the cycle. Again, it was humid and hot even at this time. It took me almost an hour before I got out of the city.
Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari: Far View of the temple
 But once I was on the National highway, I managed to keep a constant pace. Reaching Kanyakumari felt a lot more peaceful than yesterday’s ride. Anything would be easier than yesterdays, I kept telling myself all along.  I reached Kanyakumari quite easily. Since I was more worried about my bike than being interested in  Kanyakumari, I just took a quick tour around the beach, snapped a few pics.
My bus reservation was from Nagercoil, so after a quick lunch, I headed back for Nagercoil. It was 20 km from Kanyakumari, but I couldn’t understand how I had missed the scenic beauty here.




I rode as slow as possible, taking in as much of the surrounding as I could.
My dear cycle, Shreya
As I waited at the bus stand, I couldn't help but smile looking at my dear cycle. She had been faithful to me all along the way. Never once did I have any problem because of her. No flat tires over the 750km ride, no crankiness, nothing. What else could I ask for.
Finally took my off from Nagercoil for Chennai at 6 in the evening.





The Crux of the expedition, why did I title it 'The Pilgrimage'
Wikipedia defines pilgrimage as 'A pilgrimage is a journey or search of great moral or spiritual significance. typically, a journey to a shrine or other location of importance to a person's beliefs and faith.' 
Well, it was no different for me. I took up the challenge of doing this because I wanted to prove to myself that I can. Just like a pilgrimage, it often made me question my motivation and incentive all along the route. It often pushed me to the brink of giving up, but I held on. And when I reached back Chennai in one piece, without much damage to me or any damage to my cycle,  I knew I had succeeded, and i still cherish the journey and will keep doing so for the time to come. After all, I DID IT!



10 comments:

  1. Awesome read. your writing is really smooth...
    and after having the read ur amazing adventure, a note added to my 'to do list', join in a pilgrimage with Rudra before I die..definitely worth it.. Respect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome trip ..
    sad that i couldn't finish it with u. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really well written! amazing trip! and that's a nice name you have got for your cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not breathe before I finished reading your blog! Wow GPS, you're a superhuman!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I also want to join a pilgrimage with you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you thank :)
    You all are welcome to join me next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, Rudra! I envy your determination and stamina and most importantly perseverance. Your writing made me feel like I was travelling with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much, Randomrambling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice journey. Been wanting to do the ooty to coimbatore ride as well. I hope your friend is ok.

    ReplyDelete